Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"I always thought that would be sort of exciting." I didn't really, I was trying to be responsive, but I was conscious as soon as I'd closed my mouth of the schoolgirl gushiness of the remark.

"Exciting." He snickered briefly. "I used to think that. It looks exciting when you're an eager brilliant undergraduate. They all say, Go on to graduate studies, and they give you a bit of money; and so you do, and you think, Now I'm doing to fid out the real truth. But you don't find out, exactly, and things get pickier and pickier and more and more stale, and it all collapses in a welter of commas and shredded footnotes, and after a while it's like anything else: you've got stuck in it and you can't get out, and you wonder how you got there in the first place..."

Magaret Atwood The Edible Woman

4 comments:

fm said...

read onyx and crake!

Anonymous said...

...i guess the folks in conversation are really telling the truth...but it is the only time you will "hear" it.

Anonymous said...

It is the truth, but nobody will tell you the truth. In fiction, authors "lie" to tell the truth. In real life, people often hide the truth and tell lies.

sangyu said...

good point. who are you dude?