Saturday, June 23, 2007

a couple of things i have been thinking about these days because i loaded my shuffle with all the music tagged "contemporary" from my library:

1. kieslowski should make movies out of kudera's books, and get arvo part to write the soundtrack.

2. the last 2 minutes of giger's tropus is haunting. the little violin voices layered at the back of the chorus sound like dead white winged creatures weeping. i want to say layered on top, but it really does sound like it occurs somewhere at the back of my mind. and the visual images i can't rid of are surprisingly the vampire maids from van helsin. that wasn't even that good a movie.

3. steve reich's after the war is brilliantly written. go listen for yourself. and his marimba pieces are just adorable.

4. i still think the poem i hide myself within my flower is very nice... (which eric whitacre set to music)


Emily Dickinson (1830–86). Complete Poems. 1924.


Part Three: Love

VII

I HIDE myself within my flower,
That wearing on your breast,
You, unsuspecting, wear me too—
And angels know the rest.

I hide myself within my flower,
That, fading from your vase,
You, unsuspecting, feel for me
Almost a loneliness.

fantacy of a pale sickly child. so lonely, yearning, with almost an erotic touch. and so clever. and reminds me of another one she wrote, from the same series.

XLVII

HEART, we will forget him!
You and I, to-night!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me, 5
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you’re lagging,
I may remember him!

No comments: